"Learning" is the name of the game... (2 months)
7:12 PM
At 2 months in, I’ve realized that raising a baby is a
conundrum.
The past month has flown by, but so much has happened it
feels like it’s been forever since the last update.
At times I’m convinced Thad is closer to six months old than
two. But then I see “Tips for moms!” that explain something for a two-week-old
and think about how it applies to me before I remember that he’s actually nine
weeks old, not two.
The first half of April consisted a lot of me trying to soak
up all of my last weeks at home with T. I got used to going out with him
tagging along – we even made two big trips to the grocery store (with the
second being more successful than the first). I figured out how to time errands
out so that he wouldn’t be cranky. So much learning.
We made the trek to Hays to see my little sister get married
on the 26th, which means got Thad got to meet much of my extended
family, and have his first hotel stay. I enjoy every chance I get to see them, as they're from all over (Pennsylvania, Illinois, Kentucky, Oklahoma...) and I was really excited they got to meet T. He stuck to his sleeping schedule at
night, even though we messed up his daytime schedule. He was awesome and slept
the whole way to Hays, and the whole way home. Seriously, I’m nervous to ever
have another baby because he sleeps so well.
Sadly, my eight weeks of maternity leave were up on April 28th.
We found a great place for Thad to attend daycare, and thankfully Michael does
drop offs in the morning, because I don’t think I could have handled that the
first day. He had a rough first couple days, but seems to be getting better now
and more into a routine. They have a camera so I can check in every once in
awhile (or.. more) and while it’s nice to be able to see he’s doing well, it’s
also really hard to check in and see him crying, so I’m cutting back on
checking. I know he’s well taken care of, and if something’s wrong they’ll let
me know. But the control freak in me has a really hard time letting anyone else
have such a large hand in raising him. But I’m learning. Also, Thad has a
lookalike in his room so sometimes it’s hard to tell who’s who.
I’d like to think Michael and I are adjusting well to everything.
I have no idea how Michael manages juggling school and parenting. I know he’s
stressed so I try to handle as much as I can, but he always asks if there’s
anything else he can do for me which is amazing, even if I don’t need help.
He’s such a great dad and husband.
Sometimes I struggle with thinking about the future and
parenting. If I already question so much about what I’m doing, how am I going
to handle the next eighteen years? I have to say, I had the best role models
when it comes to parenting though. My mom and dad are the best out there and
I’ll fight anyone who says differently. My dad wrote a blog post recently, and
in the middle mentioned “The hundredth time you disappointed them.” and I’m not
sure if he meant disappointing us kids, or his parents or what, but I realized
that my parents have never disappointed me. They’ve always been there for the
important things, listened, helped when I needed, yet let me learn things on my
own even if I know it hurt them letting me do it on my own. Am I going to be
able to do the same for my kids? How do I find that perfect balance of helping
and letting go that they seemed to find? How do I be protective without being
overprotective? Push without pushing too hard? How many of my kids are going to
need therapy? (“There was this one time my mom just…”)
It all seems really daunting. Really. Almost crushing.
I know people can give me all sorts of answers to my
questions, and I can internalize all of them, but at the end of the day I have
to learn on my own. I think that’s what scares me the most. This isn’t some
sort of college exam where if I fail the worst that happens is I get a bad
grade. These are actual lives. What if I do something to really fuck up my kids?
I can’t ever take that back. I’m lucky to have Michael by my side – it helps,
having a partner to help me feel things out. I know we’ll make mistakes, but
that’s never something I’ve been good at handling.
I just hope we don’t mess Thad up too much in the process.
Oofta. That was a
bit deep. Back to the surface with all the fun things about the baby this
month.
- You are now 12 pounds 2 ounces, and 24.5 inches. TALL (96th percentile) and skinny (46th percentile)
- Still in size one diapers,
though I think you’ll be moving to size two pretty quick.
- I packed your NB sized
outfits away, and I’m going to have to start weeding out some of the 0-3
months that you’re already too long for.
- I about had a breakdown
the other day when I put on your 3-6 month jeans and they were only
slightly too long and too wide at the waist. After finding out his length at the doctor, we're officially going to have to start into the 3-6 month clothes though.
- You’re eating about six
4.5 ounce bottles a day, and then we’re still waking you up to eat 3.5-4
at 3 AM. Hopefully that bottle’s going away pretty quick.
- Speaking of nighttime –
you still eat one last bottle between 8 and 9 PM, then you’re down for the
night. I’ve been having to set my alarm for 3:30 AM to get the little bit
of food in, but we’re about good to take that out.
- During the day it’s
usually wake up, eat, and then hang out and play for an hour or two. We
talk to each other and you smile. Then it’s back to sleep.
- You’ve reached for objects a few times, and you love touching things, but you’d much rather kick a ball with your feet. In general, your legs are always moving. Makes me scared for when you're walking. See:

- You don’t mind tummy time,
which is kind of a problem, because you’d rather just lay there than work
on pushing up. You still have great head control, we just gotta work on
those scrawny arms.
- You love lounging in the boppy, where you can look around at everything.
- Sophie the giraffe is quickly becoming a favorite. You smile really big every time I bring her out and squeak her. The little ball you have is a close second, because you love kicking it.
- After I unswaddle you in
the mornings, you have to stretch for at least a minute or two. It’s
adorable. A dramatic stretcher, just like your dad.
- In the short time since
you started daycare, you’ve become easier to put down for naps, and you
love talking to me and your dad when you get home for the evening.
- In general, you cry if you're overtired, or when you're hungry. You're a great baby and I can't even begin to express how much we love you.




1 lovely replies