1.24.13 Ten years...

7:00 AM

So ten years ago today, my first niece entered the world. After school that day (I was in 8th grade at the time), my mom, Sarah and I drove from Olathe to Wichita. They didn't find out if it was going to be a boy or girl ahead of time, but I'd had a feeling it was a girl all along. So when we found out little miss Madison Riley was, well, Madi, I was so excited. Meeting her was something amazing, though I remember spending a lot of time with Gage (who was 15 months old at the time) in the play room.

She's been something special ever since.

She's quiet, but strong, smart and caring, and is destined for big things. Just like her siblings. For now, she's saying she wants to be a veterinarian... wants to work with horses. Something she'd be great at.

(But let's be honest, I think she'll be great at anything.)



Just last year, I went to her softball practice (an aspiring pitcher), and loved every moment of watching her and Megan play. They are two very athletic sisters, and are constantly being competitive with one another. Madi was working on her form and somehow rammed the ball into the side of her leg. My mom and I looked up and could tell she was in some pretty serious pain, so we went over to make sure she was okay. 



Madi was fighting back tears, trying to be strong for her assistant coach and everyone else. I kneeled down and took her hands, had her look at me. I told her to take some deep breaths and told her she was fine. She didn't need me to. Kids are way tougher than we give them credit for. I think I was mainly trying to make myself feel better... I've had my fair share of sports injuries, but it's different seeing it on someone else... someone you care about. After some deep breaths, some walking around, and promises of an ice pack when her dad came to get her, she wiped the tears from her eyes and went back out and kept practicing. 



I feel like this is my beautiful niece in a nutshell. She's tough. (has to be with an older brother, and 2 younger sisters and 2 younger brothers.) I've loved watching her grow up these past ten years, and I'm even more excited to watch her grow into an amazing young woman in the coming years. 



Happy 10th birthday, Madison! I love you more than I could ever say. 



(And Michael says he loves you too)
  photo 0115096-R1-028-12A_zps49292e4f.jpg  photo IMG_9868_zps14ccc27c.jpg


 photo madi_pretty_zps68c86d97.jpg  photo IMG_7780_zps327cd7e3.jpg

You Might Also Like

2 lovely replies