An end to 2011, and a look ahead to 2012

6:48 PM

Holy cow. World's worst blogger right here. I was hoping once school let out for the semester (2 weeks ago) that I'd have more time to blog. But then I started doing 25 hours a week at the cafe and 15 hours a week at my internship plus Christmas shopping and traveling and... I could make excuses all day, but basically I've missed blogging. And now it's the very last day of 2011 and I'm not sure how it happened. The year flew by but I think about what happened in January and it seems like forever ago.

I'm not one for resolutions... I feel like every day should be spent trying to be the best person I can be. I always forget resolutions anyway. I thought that for this post I'd first go through the big things I learned this year, and then do a look ahead to what could maybe be happening in 2012. Let's see...

What I learned in 2011... (with the help of my facebook timeline)
* Junior year coursework is just as hard as senior year coursework
* Nieces and nephews grow way too fast (okay, I knew this. Still true.)
* Justin Bieber's teenage fans are nuts
* I'd still rather drive places than fly. But I would fly in a heartbeat to see my Pittsburgh family again.
* I will also drive long distances to watch musicals
* Harry Potter will always be a part of my life, even if the books and movies are over.
* I hope Twilight will eventually leave my life.
* The Hunger Games series is going to be big.
* Comedies (How I Met Your Mother, The Office...) are fully capable of making me cry.
* I am always capable of becoming obsessed with TV shows.
* Buying furniture (like couches) can be considered a big kid purchase.
* But buying a car is really a big kid purchase.
* When tv shows like "The Next Great Food Truck Race" come to town, people come out of the woodwork.
* I like watching women's soccer more than men's.
* P90X isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and I can work out five days a week.
* I'm not nearly as artistic as I'd like to be.
* I will always, always, always love photography.
* Nothing can ever replace the feeling I get from being around my family.
* I can always be busier.
* If I can survive 4 1/2 years of college, I can do anything.
* I really have married an amazing man.
* I have what it takes to be a chemical engineer.
* There's always time to read.

Oof. 2011 was a great year. Now... 2012. 2012 has more unknowns than I'm comfortable with. But I suppose I should be pushing past my comfort zone. What I do know...
* In May I'll be graduating from K-State with two degrees.
*Sometime after May I'll be moving... somewhere.
* I'll have a big kid job at some point this year.
* Michael will be getting into a grad school somewhere in the country this year.

This year will be full of stuff. Finding a balance between everything will be key. I know things are going to play out just like they should and everything... but it's unsettling to me not knowing exactly how things will work. The past 4 1/2 years have been steady. School, work, etc. This year I'll be moving to a new city, starting a new (very real) job, Michael will be starting graduate school to become a psychologist, and that's just the surface. I know there will be challenges that arise, but I know I have the support system behind me to do anything I can dream of. 

Okay. Enough rambling. I'll have to update with Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff soon. For tonight, I'm off to enjoy a very quiet New Year's Eve at home. I was thinking about going to the Little Apple Ball Drop... but I've been doing a lot of running around recently, and home is where I'll stay tonight.

So. Until next time.

You Might Also Like

2 lovely replies