Happiness... & Love
5:12 PM"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."
~Frederick Keonig
How true that statement is. I have many favorite quotes, and was trying to pick one to start off this post, and this one just jumped out at me.
Happiness.
I've been trying to figure out how to begin this little shpeal.. I think I'll start off with some personal experience from work.... For those who don't know, I work in a cafe that's part of a bigger book/movie/music store. I have my fair share of run-ins with all sorts of different people. Happy, sad, angry, nonchalant... pretty much every kind of emotion. I've found it true that happiness is contagious... but so is anger. When I get a happy, thankful customer, it puts me in a happier mood. Angry or bitter customers just put me in a bad mood.
But then, in that bad mood, I've wondered, "Who is this person to come in here and make me unhappy? I shouldn't be catching their bad mood, I should be extending my happiness out to them." And so I have been making more of a conscious effort to be extra helpful and happy to those who look like they need it. Sure, sometimes it just backfires and people just withdraw more and push back. It's then that I decide that there's only so much I can do, and I hope that they can find happiness somewhere. I smile and thank them for coming in and that I hope they have a good day, because it's true.
My grandma was always happy. It was one of the things I admire about her. She was an amazingly loving, giving, happy person. I'm hoping that one day, I can love and give as much as she did. When we would visit she would always be laughing and smiling and it really seems like nothing ever got her down. If she burned something while baking, she would say, "Oh shoot," and then just carry on. I know so many people who would be so mad that they had ruined something that they would just be upset for hours. I used to do that too.
But now I realize that life is way too short to be angry or upset. For every second that we're unhappy, a happy second is lost, and can never be gotten back. At the end of my life, I want to know that I was as happy as much as I could, and made the best out of bad situations. I want my happiness to spread to other people, so they can spread it on. There are enough bad things in this world, and not nearly enough good ones.
So, the next time you spill something, instead of getting upset, laugh to yourself and say, "Well, I should be more careful next time!"
I spill things. Often.
But I find that smiling or laughing about it and cleaning it up and getting on with my day feels so much better than getting upset or mad at myself and being in a bad mood.
Next time you're walking on campus or down the street, make eye contact with people and smile at them. Because you really never know how much of a difference that can make.And if they think you're crazy... their loss. =)
Next time someone's being negative and you find your own mood deteriorating, change the subject. Or just remember that there's no reason that a bad mood should win out.
I understand that there will be times to be upset or sad or mad. I just don't think that these moments should outnumber the happy.
There is also way too much hate in this world. People not accepting other people for whatever reason. I don't want to step too far into religious boundaries here (that's a completely different post). I consider myself a Christian. I believe in God and Jesus. But I don't think it's fair to shove beliefs on other people, or to tell them what they believe is wrong. (I don't consider going to different countries and teaching people about Jesus shoving beliefs, just for the record.) All that is doing is creating hate. I am all for love. Telling someone "I'm right and you're wrong" is usually just going to make that person push back harder, which is not going to help the situation. Just because someone is different or believes something different than me doesn't mean that I tell them that they're wrong and I'm right and that would could never be friends.
Love, people... Love.
I apologize for the disorganization and everything of this post. Of course, nothing came out quite like I wanted it to. I've never been the best with writing. (No matter what my mother tells you.) I just... wish there could be more happiness. There's never enough off it.
I'm going to end this post with a song that's been popular on the Christian stations recently. It's called "Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus)" by Chris Rice. The first time I heard it, I was a mess. Even now, if I sit by myself, really think about it, and sing along, I'm a mess. I hope you like it.
Much, much love.
P.S. Tomorrow I might be trying to redo my blog layout again. So I apologize if it's a mess.
3 lovely replies