4 Years of Thad
7:50 AM
I keep telling myself that I'll only write birthday updates for one more year... except this year I'm saying I'll stop after his fifth birthday... maybe.
But for now! Today is Thad's fourth birthday. And I'm not quite sure how it sneaked up on me. (He's only been kind of saying, "I'll be four soon! But I'm three now." for about a month.)
What another year it's been, though. Thad continues to learn and grow, and just be an all-around amazing kid. He's about 43 inches and 38 pounds. Tall and skinny. Mostly wearing 5 or 5T these days. He's just the most handsome - not that I'm biased or anything. He also has continued to come out of his shell more. He's in the Preschool 2 room at daycare (just pre-K left before kindergarten, but DON'T get me started on that) and is learning so much. He knows all of his letters, and can write out almost all uppercase, and some lowercase. He can spell his name, and write out and recognize letters 1-15.
It's hilarious to me to listen to him talk sometimes, because he's so serious and matter-of-fact. We went out to breakfast last Sunday and asked him what he thought would be different about being 4 instead of 3, and he just went on for about two minutes about how he was going to go to work and get bigger, etc. But he didn't even think about it, just very seriously rambled. And he's like that a lot when you ask him questions. Same with when people come to visit, he likes to take them around the house and explain all of his toys. He is definitely a rambler.
No idea where he gets that from.
(But also, his well-visit sheet said that's normal and we're just supposed to be patient and let him talk.)
It's also funny, because he doesn't understand that Atti is a baby and doesn't understand. He's never really talked to him in a baby talk type manner. He mostly ignored Atti for a long time. He'd interact with him if we asked him to, but otherwise eh. But more recently he's started interacting more with him (besides just telling him "NO ATTI"). Just this morning I was about to get them dressed and he sat down next to him on the floor of their room and said, "Hi, Atti! I'm going to be four soon, and I get to sleep up there! [We just turned his loft bed over] And someday you'll be bigger too and you can sleep under there!" and the way Atti looked at him you'd think he'd have told him the best secret in the world. Melted my heart a bit. Thad also acts like a maniac to get Atti to laugh. Or at least that's the excuse he uses.
Three was definitely harder than two on our end. As he's learning to talk back and manipulate a bit more, oh man. Pushes all the buttons. I'm never as patient as I should be. Michael handles him like a pro (though I guess he technically kind of is) and the two of them are the best of friends. Thad's anxiety and shyness have lessened, though are definitely still there sometimes. He tends to pull his shirt up and tuck his arms away when he's nervous. When they sang "Happy Birthday" to him at school today, he looked like he wanted to disappear, and mostly ignored everyone. I get that.
I have to spend a lot of time reminding myself he's only three. Between the being tall, and the being so well behaved 75% of the time, when he acts like a normal preschooler I get frustrated. He sometimes has trouble listening, he sometimes takes FOREVER to eat, and his focus and attention span are occasionally non-existent. But through it all, he's so sweet and loving. Can't ask for more than that.
As far as what Thad is into right now - Star Wars ("blasters" of any kind... much to my dismay), YouTube (Turbo Toy Time, Truck Tunes, DudePerfect, Blippi), garbage trucks, firetrucks, Legos, PJ Masks... basically he very much enjoys the TV. Imagine that. But he also still loves playing sports, and just tonight had a little meltdown when I told him we had to come inside. He can throw a spiral on a little football, shoots a basket pretty well, and can hit and throw really well. He starts soccer in a few weeks.
This sweet boy feels all the feelings very strongly. He can be dramatic, but he also loves so fiercely, and I hope he always holds onto that.
I did one of the questionnaires with him last night... Here was our interaction.
1. What is something mommy always says to you? "Listen"
2. What makes you happy? Umm um um playing in the shower
3. What makes you sad? Um, going to sleep
4. What makes you laugh? Playing outside
5. How old are you? Three. I'll be four soon.
6. How old is mommy? Thirteen
7. How old is daddy? Sixteen
8. What is your favorite thing to do? Ummm eat (unless it's vegetables, though we're making progress)
9. Who is your best friend? Jaxson and Jackson
10. What do you want to be when you grow up? Fighter storm trooper blaster (sigh)
11. What are you really good at? Doing my letters
12. What are you not very good at? Um, those *points at soap* (he was in the bath)
13. What did you do today? I played. I learned at school.
14. What is your favorite food? Hot dog
15. What is your favorite song? "White Flag" by Joseph
16. What do you want for your birthday this year? Some PJ Masks cupcakes
17. What is your favorite animal? A dog pig (?????????)
18. What is love? Umm happy. Love means happy.
19. Where do you live? Um. School.
20. Where is your favorite place to go? Ummm um grandma and grandpa's
I left out a few "Um"s, but you get the picture.
Thad, your dad and I love you more than words. I hope you always ask for hugs and cuddles, but even when you outgrow them, know they were the favorite parts of our day. We'll love you forever, buddy. Thanks for being everything you are.
Love,
Mom



0 lovely replies