2 Months With A
10:34 AM
Sweet little Atti is two months old today. I was talking to Michael and friends last night, and mentioned I couldn't believe it's already been two months. It's gone by in a flash, and yet most days I still think he's younger than he really is. Maybe because he's basically the size Thad was when he was 1 month old? Who knows. Time. It's all relative.
I feel very lucky to have been able to have the time off work I've had. I officially start back on May 1st, but will be working at home until the 15th. Little man will be starting daycare on the 8th. It's a different feeling this time around. With Thad I was so dreading daycare and everything about it. But Atticus will be going to the same place Thad is, and we know all of the staff and trust all of them so fully at this point that I'm not nearly as nervous. Part of me is ready to get back to work. Part of me wishes I had another few months at home. Ready or not...
We took Atticus on his first trip to Wichita last weekend for a quick visit. He got to meet lots of people, which is always fun for me, even if it's not for him. He was pretty good for the most part. He's well-loved, just like his big brother. I love seeing him with family. Can't explain how happy it makes my heart. Same with Thad. I love that he's old enough and comfortable enough to play with his cousins. He and Garrett played outside for hours on Saturday.
Otherwise... life is moving on. Michael passed his oral comps, which is kind of a huge deal. One step closer to graduating. Two years left. This time next month we'll be one day from making a big train trip to Pittsburgh. That'll be an adventure in its own right.
At two months, Atti...
- As of Friday, he was 9 pounds, 13 ounces, and 22.5 inches long. Growing, growing! Up 3 pounds and 2.5 inches from birth.
- In size 1 diapers, and 0-3/3 month clothes. Still have a few newborn things out, but he's mostly too tall for them. His socks are finally fitting!
- In addition to Atti, you can hear him be called Little Bit, Ty-Ty, Growler
- Because of his reflux, we have to cap his feedings, so he's getting between 3 and 3.5 oz every 2-3 hours. Even at night. I haven't gotten more than 2.5 hours of sleep in a row since he was born.
- I've mostly integrated him into Thad's bedtime, because I have no choice on nights when Michael isn't here. He gets jammies, swaddled, and then a bottle while we're reading or playing games with Thad. Once he's asleep he does his first sleep stretch in his crib.
- Still sleeping on an incline. Working hard to have him sleep in his bassinet that we've inclined, so we don't have a repeat Thad situation with hating the crib.
- He doesn't handle the traditional swaddles very well. He'll sleep in them at night for a bit, but eventually gets super mad and wants his hands by his face. So we've been using Swaddle Up swaddles, which are awesome.
- He would really rather sleep on his stomach. I think sometimes because it helps his tummy feel better. So we're working on tummy so he'll get to rolling over one of these weeks.
- Morning is his best time. After I release him from his swaddle he's usually got some smiles and is awake until his next bottle. The rest of the day he eats, hangs out a little, and sleeps. Until...
- After about 4 or 5 pm he gets cranky. Not sure if it's overstimulation or what, but until he's swaddled up for the night it's almost easier to just put him in the carrier and lug him around.
- Thad was very expressive as a baby. Smiled early and often. Made lots of faces. Atti is much more reserved. Have to work hard to get smiles, has plenty of judgmental and angry faces, even though he's not really an angry baby.
- Loves, loves, loves looking at lights. More than anything else.
- His hemangioma keeps growing. It's getting closer to his eye, so we're going to ask about that at his appointment. It doesn't bother him, and to me it's just what makes him, him. Chances are it'll grow for the next year before starting to go away.
- He prefers to be just in his diaper, as long as it's not cold.
- His new hair is definitely coming in blond. Another fair haired boy.
- Loves holding onto whatever is near when cuddling - burp rag, shirt, blanket, paci holder, hoodie strings.
All in all, we think we'll keep him. I'm eager to watch him keep growing and changing. Newborns are so tough. I'd kind of blocked that part out. There are always hard parts (not looking forward to sleep regressions) but newborns just seem so breakable. Babies get slightly more flexible as they get bigger.
Until next time.
(He's looking so much less newborn-ish!)




0 lovely replies