Four months...

12:38 PM




Best four months of my life? Probably safe to say so.

Once again confirming all those stupid cliches about life are stupid, but true.

Thad is growing, and it still seems to be happening at the speed of light. Every day he gets a little stronger, grabs things a little quicker, hates tummy time a little less. Honestly it's one of the coolest things ever to watch. It also makes sending him to daycare harder.

This past month has been awesome. He's definitely less newborn and more infant now. And he is such a happy kid. Smiles all the time. See:

 Him smiling to me from across the room makes my heart just hurt with awesomeness. He's down to crying when he's hungry (because duh he's starving to death and the world's ending) or overtired. When he's bored or annoyed he mostly just whines now. Which is cute for now, but won't be in a year.

For instance, right now he's whining to me and working to crying and putting his head on the floor to protest tummy time. He's not dramatic at all.

(For the record, he can roll over, just prefers to be rescued.)

We worked at fully transitioning to crib this month. He does great from 8 to about 1, then wakes up and sometimes just needs his paci, but fidgets to keep himself awake for up to an hour. Have I mentioned I miss him being swaddled? Sometimes he ends up back in his rock n play (I know... bad habits...) where, literally, as soon as he lays down he's out. I've even tried making his crib more like his rock n play... doesn't work. From there it's hit or miss until we get up at six. But he's in a routine enough he's ready for the day at six on weekends too. But we did discover that he sleeps better laying on his side. But they can't let him do that at daycare because he won't roll over enough. Stubborn.

Had one scary moment last week... He wears a Snuza to bed. Basically it's a monitor that goes on his diaper to make sure he's breathing. Been great for helping me feel better about him being in his crib. Anyway at about 1:30 am this alarm woke me up and it took me about 2 seconds to realize it wasn't the smoke detector, and it was coming from Thad's room. So I ran across the hall (Michael didn't wake up) and Thad was still sleeping which worried me too, but I turn off the alarm and it looks like he's breathing, just really shallowly. I shook his tummy a little bit and he started breathing more deeply and I turned back on his monitor and it started catching his breaths again. But safe to say I was awake for awhile after that. I think the mixture of breathing shallowly, and being so skinny the monitor doesn't always lay quite right was what caused the alarm to go off but dang. No thanks.


I maybe bought a $10 pool from Target since he loves baths so much. And then made the rookie mistake of putting water in from the tap outside and plopping Thad in it. He wasn't so happy about that. And then I tried to put my feet in... it was a little cold. But after that I just put in his feet a little at a time and he eventually got to sitting down. Now he's a fan. Worth the $10 for the summer's worth of fun.

He did pretty well at his appointment this morning. His cough is still lingering, and the doctor thinks it's some upper respiratory thing holding on, so we brought home a nebulizer. Said we'd be all right to start cereals in about a month. He cried pretty good when they gave him his shots, but once we picked him up he just had some tears and sad whining/crying. And gave the nurses his best pouty lip. He took a nap and is back to talking up a storm on his activity mat. Think it was worse for me and Michael.

And now for the little things...
  • Is now up to right under 15 lbs and 27 inches (nurse measured him at 70 cm [27.5 in], doc had in her system that he was 26 inches... but I measured him between 26.5 and 27 so...]. Really didn't think I'd have to buy him his next car seat until he was a year old, but the height limit on our infant seat is 30"...
  • Size 2 diapers, though I bought a size 3 box because tall
  • Finally put all the 0-3 month clothes today, and had to start putting some 3-6 month away... only to realize we really don't have many 6-9 month clothes. Time to go shopping.
  • He went through some growth spurt recently and is drinking 36 ounces a day. That seems like a lot to me.
  • He likes laying flat on his back less and less. Will lounge in the boppy, loves sitting in the bumbo, and loves his exersaucer. It's fun to watch him learn how to work the toys on his exersaucer.
  • Speaking of toys, he very much likes playing with them now that he can grab and kind of manipulate them. I bought a frappuccino from S-bucks the other day and he really liked feeling the cold of the cup.
  • When he does play on his play mat, he likes to grab toys with both hands and feet. He pulled on the elephant that played music so much its batteries died.
  • He's doing a lot better with tummy time now, and will even push up and play with toys.
  • His hands are always in his mouth. Bought an amber necklace and that seems to help some with the waterfall of drool that he emits.
  • He's definitely a talker. A lot. It's adorable.
  • He and Michael like to talk to the baby in the mirror and he thinks it's hilarious.
  • He smiles all the time, but it's harder to get him to laugh. His laugh is currently more inhale-shriek. Michael got him to belly laugh the other day.... but he also might have just been crying. He was going beween the two.
  • He really can be quite dramatic. Sometimes after he sneezes he kinda says, "ahhhhhh!" and talks about it.
  • At bedtime now, after he's finished with his bottle he usually wants to be put in his crib rather than cuddle. Sometimes though I give him his paci and he turns into me for more cuddles. Sometimes when he's ready for naps he doesn't want to be held and would rather lay in his play pen... but then before he falls asleep he whines to be picked up again. A conundrum, but I love it. 
  • Definitely knows when he sees his bottle now. The other day he had finished it and I sat him up and put his bottle down. He was staring at it so I was going to let him work on holding it and getting it to his mouth, but instead he flung himself back to laying down like he was ready to eat again. Silly.
  • He loves being outside and going places. 
  • Has discovered his feet and likes playing with them, but he has my flexibility (which is none at all)
  • He's also discovered things happen when he touches my phone. So it begins.

Love you lots, baby boy. 
 






You Might Also Like

1 lovely replies