Round Midnight

10:45 PM

I am very in love with my amazing, Irish, "gangster", trumpet player.

Okay. Let me back up.

I am a huge jazz fan. I've been listening to it since the day my parents drove me home from the hospital. My dad's been listening to jazz since who-knows-when and, thankfully, exposed me at a young age. Since then I've been fascinated with jazz and the saxophone. The tenor, to be specific. As I grew up I went through music phases, but jazz always stuck around. Mainly because my dad played it every day. Still does, actually. I ended up playing saxophone in my school bands and I played jazz in junior high and high school. As much as I love jazz, I was never very good at the whole improvising thing.

For that reason I have a huge respect for people who play jazz, and play it well.

My fiance? Yeah, he's one of those who can play it. And play it well. I know I'm biased and everything, but seriously.

I went to his jazz combo concert tonight. (Minitaure jazz bands... 6 people instead of 20) He's in a group called the Housewreckers. Now, I love all jazz, but the slow, gritty jazz I really love. The kind that stems from heartbreak or love. I think that's what Michael solos the best on, too. They played Round Midnight and he soloed (he's great at improving...) and... gah. I mean, anytime he plays, I'm more proud of him than I can even say. But tonight I had love coming out of my ears, and I was smiling so big I thought my face my burst.

And then I realized that I played sports for too many years, because when he was done I had the biggest urge to stand up and go, "WHOOOOOO! Yeah, Michael! You... play that trumpet!" lol. Seriously though. Too many years on a soccer field. (Though I miss that as much as I miss playing my saxophone... that's another post though...)

Point of my story?

I love jazz. And I love Michael. And he is an amazing trumpet player.

And I wish more people appreciated jazz.

Now... off to do physics homework. Homeward bound tomorrow after my programming test!! So excited. Spring break! (aka time to find a wedding dress. eek.)

much love,
alex

no lyrics tonight... everyone should listen to a jazz song. =)

You Might Also Like

1 lovely replies